Thursday, February 28, 2008

First Ear Infection and Fever

I went to the doctor yesterday because Dusty and I were up pretty much all night Tuesday. Allie had the worst cough and runny nose and she was on fire. She was sweating so bad. So, Wednesday morning I took her in. The doctor checked her ears and one of her ears was infected then they looked at her throat and thought she might have strep because her throat was so red. They took a swab of her throat luckily it came back negative so they wanted to test her for RSV and the Flu luckily those were also negative. So we ended up with an ear infection and a fever of 100.6. I gave her Tylenol around the clock which made her sleep all day yesterday but because of her sore throat she would not eat anything. Her diapers were barley wet and on top of that she's got diarrhea. When should I worry about dehydration? She ate a total of 9 ounces yesterday and so far today only 5. I have tried every thing I tried just giving her water she won't take it formula and rice cereal. Nothing she won't drink it she cries every time she swallows I feel so bad for her. Hopefully it will pass soon.

5 comments:

The Belnaps said...

Hey Kristin-

I dont know how I came across your blog but somehow I did! Your little girl is so cute. It breaks your heart when they get sick doesn't it! Anyways, I just wanted to say hi!

Ericka Jones Belnap

Taylor and Stephanie Haught said...

I am so sorry that she is sick! All you can do is keep offering her liquids. Try to give her a drink like 20-30 minutes after you give her the Tylenol. You can run a humidifier in her room also, that will help clear her head! I hope she feels better soon!

Taylor and Stephanie Haught said...

I guess I should have read your first post about Allie being sick because it sounds like you are doing all the right things already. Her breathing is the most important thing to watch. When Eli had RSV the doctor told me to go in the bathroom and sit with him while the shower was on super HOT. He said to sit there for like 15 minutes and let him breath in all of the steam. You are the mom and if you start to get uncomfortable with her breathing or you think she is getting dehydrated go in, don't feel bad!! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Attention!

us... said...

Hey Kristin this is Brynne, I was just reading about poor little allies ear infection, I just wanted to give you a little advise cause there is lots I dont know but I do know a lot about ear infeactions....BELIEVE ME! My Caden had one every month. I tried everything they said to do and I mean everything. Nothing worked not even the antibiotics that they gave me. If she gets another Ear infection... well I would say even if you think it is one go to the health food store like good earth or whatever and buy garlic drops. Just tell someone that your baby has an ear infection and they will give you the drops. Caden loved the dropes cause you warm them up and they worked miracles. Unfortunatly, they dont keep them away foever but it does kill the current bacteria that is in there. We had to get tubes put in his ears hopefully they wont get that bad. I guess I should have looked at my husbands medical records before we got married cause he had 3 sets of tubes cause his ears were so bad! Thanks for the genes dad, j/k i would have married him anyway:]! Anyway this is a novel but hopefully since it is getting warmer she wont get anymore!